Saturday, October 8, 2011

100 yrs from now (or 50)

I was looking for new craft ideas the other day & it occurred to me that crafts are way different than 100 yrs ago. People always did some kind of crafts but now with the computer it's all online. What will our crafts look like? Blogs are journals.Scrapbooking is almost all digital. Atwork is also online. I was against e books at first. I like the fell & smell of books. I like holding a book. But I finally bought a Nook. What will become of books, paper? Like the Twilight Zone episode of the obsolete man, will libraries be obsolete? But is that a bad thing? There is so much knowledge on the computer. There are so many resources available but what will people think when they see our crafts in the future? I like the old pictures & reading old diaries. I like my Nook, I like computers, but I will always like books.

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya! I love my Laptop, but I cant snuggle with it or put it under my pillow. I remember times in my childhood where I used a flashlight to secretly read under the bed cover!Yet like there are new lifestyles emerging, like Kat living of the grid but adding solar power, there might be other ways, we will develop for our crafts too. I can not imagine though not to work with my fingers and hands anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like books too. Though I do tons of reading online. I still enjoy dogearing a book and how it's just a little more gentle on the eyes.

    Like screw-top wine, digital media is practical. But it doesn't have the romance of popping a cork...of folding over a corner.

    ReplyDelete